Monday, November 26, 2012

{SkinnyChow} Spicy Tuna & Shrimp, Smoked Salmon, Avocado Cucumber Sushi




Sushi is one of my favorite foods and I could probably eat it every day forever and be happy as a clam.  However, if you’ve ever tried making this stuff at home, you might find it to be a daunting task.  The first time I made sushi at home I was: 1. totally freaked I would get sick from the fish I used, 2. completely and entirely clueless as to what the heck I was doing.  I did a lot of reading on making sushi at home and I ended up with rolls that would have looked better in the garbage can for the local raccoon to dig out than on my dinner plate.  Practice is key though and I eventually got the hang of it....but still, making sushi is hard and time consuming!  So I figured out a way to get that sushi flavor and make it rice-less so it’s more healthy for you!  Seriously, anyone can make this super easy cucumber sushi!  And the great thing about it is you can stuff these cucumbers with any combo of veggies and fish!  It’s all good!  If you’re grocery store has a sushi man, stop in and see if they sell sauces for sushi such as Ponzu, Eel Sauce or Spicy Mayo for dipping!  Hello, delicious!


Spicy Tuna & Shrimp, Smoked Salmon, Avocado Cucumber Sushi 

3 cucumbers, washed, dried and cut in half

For the Spicy Tuna 
One 4 oz fresh ahi grade tuna fillet, diced
1 tbsp light mayo
1-2 tsp Sriracha sauce, depending on how spicy you like it
black sesame seeds
panko flakes for garnish


For the Shrimp, Smoked Salmon, Avocado
3 oz smoked salmon, diced
10 large shrimp, cooked and diced
1 small, ripe avocado, mashed
black sesame seeds for garnish
Eel sauce for drizzling

  1. To prepare cucumbers:  using a melon baller, scoop out the seeds all the way through each halved cucumber, creating a tunnel.  This will be your sushi base.  
  2. For the spicy tuna: combine tuna, mayo and sriracha, add some black sesame seeds for color and crunch in a small bowl, set aside for stuffing
  3. For the shrimp: combine salmon, shrimp and mashed avocado in a small bowl, set aside for stuffing
  4. Assembly: lay down a sheet of saran wrap on a clean surface and stand each cucumber half on the wrap.  Using a spoon, fill each cucumber half with each filling, pressing down on the filling as you go.  Make sure you really pack it in to get a nice roll.  Lay each stuffed cucumber on it’s side and slice into sushi-sized pieces.  Arrange on a platter and garnish as desired.  Serve with eel sauce, ponzu, spicy mayo or soy sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! It got me thinking about the combo of shrimp and avocado and I made it into a wrap instead! I posted the link to this on my blog http://eatruncoffee.blogspot.com. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looks good, will try one of this day .

    ReplyDelete

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD