Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Radish Crostini



I’ve never been one to pick up a bunch of radishes and think, “Hey, these look great -- what can I possibly make with them?!”  To me, they’ve always been just a garnish on a plate of chicken or tuna salad -- a garnish that I would never pick up and pop in my mouth {unlike other garnishes such as blue cheese stuffed olives in dirty martinis that I request more of...another story all together...}.  I started seeing radishes all over some food blogs and decided to give them a whirl.  Over Easter, roasted them with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice and tossed them in a spring vegetable panzanella salad -- delish!  
A few days ago, I hosted a dinner party and felt like I needed another appetizer -- something easy to put together and beautiful at the same time.  I just so happened to have goat cheese and prepared pesto on hand so all I needed were the radishes and a lovely baguette and I was all set to go.
The flavors of this crostini go together very well -- pesto and cheese are a classic combination but topping it with thinly sliced radishes provides a fresh, earthy crunch that ties all the ingredients together.  The pesto I used is actually from Sam’s Club and it’s some of the best prepared pesto I’ve ever had.  If you’re making these for a party, feel free to bake off the bread slices early but don’t prepare the whole recipe until guests are close to arriving -- the pesto will lose it’s vibrant green color as it sits out.

Radish Crostini 
french baguette
cooking spray
prepared basil pesto
goat cheese (either from a tub or a log), at room temperature
radishes, thinly sliced
fresh ground black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Slice the baguette diagonally in as many slices as you desire to serve.  Spray each bread slice with cooking spray on each side and place on cookie sheet.  Bake bread slices for about 6 minutes, turning halfway through, or until lightly browned.  
  2. Spread each bread slice with goat cheese then pesto.  Top with radish slices and fresh ground black pepper.  Serve immediately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD