Friday, July 27, 2012

Peach and Plum Crumble



As I’ve mentioned numerous times on the blog... I’m not a baking expert.  I probably need to suck it up and take a couple of baking classes in order to hone my skills a little bit.  However, there are some baked goods that are difficult to mess up -- and those are my go-to desserts.  These include fruit crumbles, crisps and rustic tarts with store bought pie crust.  
I love a good fruit crumble -- warm seasonal fruit with a crunchy buttery topping -- add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and I’m in heaven.  This crumble is a spin off of a recipe I found on Pinterest -- I loved the idea of pairing peaches and plums but I wasn’t crazy about the topping on the original recipe.  It was very simple with basic ingredients of butter, brown sugar and flour -- I decided to add some texture by taking out some of the flour and adding in instant oatmeal and sliced almonds.  I loved the crunch of the almonds along with the fruit.  Delish!  

Peach and Plum Crumble 
1 1/2 pounds peaches, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1/2 pound plums, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp coarse salt
12 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. instant oatmeal
1/3 c. sliced almonds
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Stir together peach and plum slices, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt then pour into an 8-inch square baking dish or a 10-inch pie plate.
  2. Beat butter and brown sugar until combined, then add flour, oatmeal and almonds.  Gather handfuls of the mixture and squeeze, then gently break up the clump with your fingers and scatter over the filling.  You will have big and small pieces.
  3. Bake 30 minutes, then cover loosely with foil.  Bake 20 more minutes until the filling is bubbling.  Cool 2 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD