Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Artichokes and Parsley



Today’s recipe is a delicious SkinnyChow side dish! Quinoa has quickly become one of my favorite grains.  I tend to substitute it where I would use couscous or any other small grain. I had started seeing recipes with quinoa all over pinterest and foodgawker and thought, “Huh, what is this stuff that everyone is raving about??”  I took to my local grocery store and got blank stares when I asked for it.  I thought I would have to take a pilgrimage to our closest Whole Foods (around 2 hours away) when I stumbled upon it in the international food section!  Phew, thank goodness -- I didn’t think I could convince the husband to make a 4 hour round trip drive for something that looks like rice.  Quinoa is protein packed, healthy, and has a lovely nutty flavor to contribute to any dish.  The flavors in this salad mesh together perfectly -- I could eat bowls of this stuff.  If you haven’t tried quinoa or you have and you love it, check out this salad -- it’s perfect for your summer BBQ’s or for a light lunch.
Quinoa Salad with Artichokes and Parsley (makes 4 servings)

1 tbsp EVOO
1 c. chopped spring or sweet onion
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 (9oz) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. uncooked quinoa
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
5 tsp grated lemon rind
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Add onion and thyme; saute 5 minutes.  Add artichokes and saute 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Add broth and quinoa; bring to a simmer.  Cover and cook 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
  2. Remove pan from heat.  Stir in parsley, rind, juice and salt.  Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts: calories - 166, fat - 5.3 grams, carbs - 26 grams, protein - 5.75 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD