Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pimento Cheese Crostini



For my last trick this week for Crostini Week, I’m giving you a little taste of my trip to Charleston last weekend... Pimento Cheese Crostini!  My girlfriends and I ran in the Cooper River Bridge Run and made the weekend more about eating and drinking than about running... {is there any other way when you’re in Charleston?!}  We were lucky enough to get a lunch reservation at Husk, a crazy good farm-to-table restaurant that sources local meats, cheeses and produce as well as makes as much as possible in-house.  They make their own ketchup for crying out loud!!!!  

So anyhow, Husk really impressed me with their lunch menu -- the girls and I got the crostini for a little snack then shared Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Pork Belly, Fried Chicken BLT (!!!!!!!) and my absolute favorite, BBQ Crispy Pig Ear Lettuce Wraps!!!!!!!!  SERIOUSLY.   Oh and next time I see pig ears available for purchase I am all over that!!!!!  Ok so back to the crostini -- not only were they smeared with some of the best pimento cheese I’ve ever eaten, they were topped with thinly sliced country ham - how charmingly Southern!  I opted to top mine with Capicola because I like the spice!  Mmm!  

Pimento Cheese Crostini (makes 24 crostini)

1 baguette, sliced into 24 pieces
extra virgin olive oil spray
your favorite pimento cheese or try my recipe here
thinly sliced country ham, proscuitto or capicola
4 green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray each side of sliced baguette with olive oil spray and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Smear pimento cheese on each slice of bread and top with country ham.  Sprinkle with green onions and eat as fast as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD