Sunday, March 24, 2013

Easter Brunch - Bellini Bar and Bloody Mary Bar


Brunch is one of my favorite meals -- I love combining savory and sweet dishes so this makes sense -- and Easter morning is the perfect time to put on a delicious brunch.  If you entertain the way that I do, I’m usually frantically finishing my dishes when my guests arrive...so I usually set up a bar so my people can help themselves to beverages.  So what’s better than a Bellini Bar and Bloody Mary Bar?  Yeah, that’s right,  nothing.  To set up the bar I thought it would be cute to create little frames trimmed in moss -- perfect for Spring!  The frames are from the dollar store, moss from Michael’s and attached simply with a glue gun!  Easy as can be!  


First let’s talk Bloody Mary’s ---- I love to make my own mix, but for a big brunch I simplified with the best bloody mary mix out there: Bloody Bold.  It’s thick and spicy and perfectly seasoned.  As for vodka, nothing works better than Absolute Peppar -- a black pepper flavored vodka.  Also -- who has tried bacon-flavored vodka?!!??  It’s amazing in a bloody mary.  However, I took a shot of it and that wasn’t such a great experience. 


My favorite part of the bloody mary experience is the add-ons.  I skewered limes and lemons, olives and pickled okra.  I’ve even seen some bloody mary’s with a thick strip of bacon as a stirrer!  Amaze.  


On to the Bellinis!  I chose to use a traditional peach puree and a strawberry puree.  Oh and I made them SkinnyChow!  Boom.  I used fresh peaches and strawberries but you can use frozen fruit if necessary -- just make sure they don’t have any added sugar. 

SkinnyChow Peach Bellini Puree (makes 8 to 10 drinks)

2 ripe peaches, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c. water
1 teaspoon Splenda
1 bottle chilled prosecco sparkling wine or champagne

Place the peaches, lemon juice, water and splenda in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth. Press the mixture through a sieve and discard the peach solids in the sieve. Place 2 tablespoons of the peach puree into each champagne glass and fill with cold prosecco or champagne. Serve immediately.

SkinnyChow Strawberry Bellini Puree (makes 8 to 10 drinks)

1 pound strawberries, hulled
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c. water
2 teaspoon Splenda
1 bottle chilled prosecco sparkling wine or champagne

Place strawberries, lemon juice, water and splenda in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth.  Press the mixture through a sieve to remove seeds and discard solids.  Place 2 tablespoons of strawberry puree into each champagne glass and fill with cold prosecco or champagne.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD