Monday, January 28, 2013

Southwestern Tuna Poke w/ Avocado-Mango Salsa



Ok, so we all know that I love to throw a good party -- but sometimes life gets in the way of parties and getting a whole mess of people together just isn’t happening.  Sad times....{if I had my way, this February I’d be throwing a Super Bowl party, Mardi Gras party, Oscar Night party and Valentine’s Day party...}

So when I’m getting a little tear in my eye from lack of party planning, I realize that I can throw a dinner party!  Getting just one other couple into my house constitutes me pulling out all the stops for dinner... it’s a sickness, I know, but I just live to cook for people!  Even though a dinner party isn’t a full blown party, it’s still nice to have a central theme and roll with it.  It just helps your meal to make sense as you move through the courses.  This week’s dinner party theme was Southwestern cuisine and I had a great time preparing this meal.  It’s a little labor-intensive but hey, it’s a dinner party, people, not 30 minute meals!  ;)

Today I’m showing you our appetizer -- Southwestern Tuna Poke w. Avocado-Mango Salsa.  A “Poke” is traditionally a raw fish salad -- do not be afraid to make this in your own home.  Here’s how I rationalize this....when I make Ahi tuna at home, I barely sear it and I’m shoveling it down, so why not just forgo the heat all together?  Really, as long as you’re buying fresh fish from a source that you trust, you can make this at home!  There are three components to this impressive appetizer: the tuna, the avocado-mango salsa and the mango-habanero sauce.  You can pile up these ingredients on a plate, or if you have a nice thick biscuit cutter, use it as a mold and you are good to go!


Southwestern Tuna Poke w. Avocado-Mango Salsa (makes 4)

Mango-Habanero Sauce: (makes 1 cup)

1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 habanero, chopped
1 cup white wine vinegar
salt

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, mangoes, habanero and vinegar and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.  Place mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.  If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water or vinegar.  Season with salt.

Tuna:

2 (4 oz) ahi tuna steaks, chopped into a small dice
3 tbsp mango-habanero sauce
1 splash sesame oil

Lightly toss all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Avocado-Mango Salsa:

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 small red onion, minced
juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 generous handful fresh cilantro, chopped

Lightly toss all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.

Assembly:

Place biscuit cutter, cookie cutter or mold in the center of small serving plate.  Place 1/4 of avocado-mango salsa into mold and pack down.  Top with tuna mixture, pressing into mold.  Remove mold to unveil your gorgeous appetizer.  Serve with mango-habanero sauce and your choice of chips {I used baked wonton crisps but tortilla chips would be awesome as well!}


No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD