Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oatmeal Almond Crisps



Christmas baking is upon us all!  Honestly, I find all this baking ridiculously overwhelming....but then again....I’ve never claimed to be a baker.  I find baking to be a stressor whereas the opposite happens when I can get into the kitchen and make dinner or a savory treat -- I find that very relaxing.  

So -- when I am diving into the piles of cookie recipes I’ve collected over the years, I find myself counting ingredients and tossing the long recipes over my shoulder in disgust.  For that reason, this cookie recipe came to the top of my pile.  Short ingredient list? Check!  Ease of preparation? Check! Delicious? Double check!  My favorite thing about these babies is their lack of flour.  I love the texture as well -- almonds and oatmeal come together beautifully.  Not to mention they are the perfect crunch mate for coffee or tea!  

Oatmeal-Almond Crisps 

1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 c. sliced almonds
nonstick cooking spray

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla until smooth.  Mix in oats and almonds.
  3. Drop mixture by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.  Spray the underside of a metal spatula with nonstick cooking spray, and use to flatten cookies into 2 1/2 -inch disks.
  4. Bake until golden, 14 to 16 minutes.  Cool completely on baking sheets. (Handle with care; cookies are fragile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD