Sunday, December 30, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers



Well I had a lovely Christmas holiday with my family up North but MY GOD was it cold!!!!!!!!  It’s true what they say about your blood thinning out when you move South because I swear I couldn’t tolerate the temperature.  This girl was always out sledding, skiing, snowboarding, romping in the snow and now I had to bundle up in every piece of clothing I brought with me just to run to my car and drive to the grocery store!  Not to mention the hour and a half drive from my husband’s family to my house that turned into  a 4 hour drive due to rapid snowfall.  Sooo, yeah, I miss my family like crazy already, but I’m glad to be back in the South -- where todays’ low temperature was 44 degrees.  That’s pretty balmy compared to what we just endured.  

So, tonight is New Year’s Eve -- many of us are “partied out” from the dozens of holiday parties, family gatherings, office parties we’ve been pigging out at for the past month.  I am included in this collection of people.  Enough of the parties already...I need some sleep and some kind of green smoothie.  But, yeah, it’s New Year’s Eve and we might as well go out and have one too many glasses of champagne and hoot it up before we start those resolutions we will break by January 5th. :)

Ok here’s where the food comes in -- the last hurrah before you trade in your delish snacks for carrot sticks -- bacon + cheese + jalapeno peppers = party in your mouth.  These are so painfully easy to make so get started.  One word of advice.  Please...PLEASE wear gloves when slicing and seeding the jalapenos.  Like, seriously.  I always scoffed at this when I read it in a recipe....but I was usually only chopping one jalapeno.  This time I handled a dozen peppers....cut to me sitting on the couch during a party with my hands in a glass of milk.  Honestly.  They were on fire and that fire lasted until the middle of the next day.  Trust me on this!  Otherwise, enjoy! :)

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

12 fresh jalapenos, 2 to 3 inches in size
1 stick 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
12 thin slices bacon, cut in half

  1. Cut each jalapeno pepper in half, length-wise.  (This is the part with the gloves!!!!!!) Remove the seeds and the white membrane with a spoon or paring knife.  
  2. Combine cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a small bowl and smear cream cheese mixture into each jalapeno half.  
  3. Wrap each jalapeno with halved bacon slice and place on a cookie sheet or glass baking dish.
  4. Bake jalapenos in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  If after 20 minutes the bacon doesn’t look done, switch on the broiler and broil until done.  Serve immediately or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD