Thursday, November 8, 2012

SkinnyChow Butternut Squash and Kale Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette



You know when you wake up in the morning and look around and think to yourself, “wow, I need to organize my life...” ??  Well, that’s what happened to me yesterday and I went on a cleaning frenzy.  Not only cleaning my kitchen but cleaning out my closets, organizing boxes obsessively and generally working on de-cluttering.  The problem with all of this is this....things always get worse before they get better.  So as I sit here writing this blog and drowning in clothes that I don’t want or need any longer, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.  I seriously wonder how those Super-Mom’s out there keep a tidy home, raise their children, cook dinner for their families every night and work a full time job.  I mean, I’m not living in squaller over here but there are definitely some rooms that I do not allow guests in -- as they are the rooms that I shovel all my crap in before anyone arrives.  I think I need to start pinning organizational and cleaning pins instead of food............ {definitely not as fun though!}

So today I thought I’d end the week with something vegetarian and healthy {and full of fall flavor}.  I’m not an overwhelming kale fan but when it’s wilted and dressed with this tangy cranberry vinaigrette it just works!  Give kale a try!  And if you want to add an extra kick of flavor then toss in some crumbled bacon! Mmmm!

Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette 
makes 2 dinner sized salads or 4 side salads

Vinaigrette:
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Salad:
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
6 c. kale, chopped into bite sized pieces and thick stems removed
2 c. butternut squash, diced
1/4 to 1/3 c. chopped walnuts
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled

  1. For the vinaigrette: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine vinegar and dried cranberries.  Allow cranberries to plump up in liquid and bring to a light simmer, about 5 minutes.  Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.  Cool about 5 minutes then add mixture to blender along with mustard, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  Blend until throughly combined.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and garlic.  Cook about 1 minute, until just fragrant.  Add kale to the pan with a little water and toss with garlic and oil.  Saute until beginning to wilt, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set kale aside.
  3. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and diced butternut squash.  Season with salt and pepper and cook squash until beginning to crisp, around 7 - 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  4. Transfer kale to salad plates and top with squash.  Sprinkle salads with walnuts and goat cheese and drizzle with cranberry vinaigrette.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD