Sunday, November 4, 2012

Apple Raisin Bars



I really hope I’m not getting into dangerous territory with another apple recipe.  Overkill?  I don’t think so....apples just fit so happily into fall eating....so don’t be surprised if apples show up again in the next 7 days.  Boom.  

Anyway -- these Apple Raisin Bars are so. freaking. scrumptious.   I’ve made them a couple times.  The first time I followed the recipe to the tee {since I’m a little challenged in the baking area, I get a little nervous going out of the box} and they were your typical delicious bars.  This time, I took these babies to the next level by adding some extra apples.  {Actually, I just chopped up way more apples than I needed and thought, “ah, the hell with it, I’ll throw ‘em all in there and see what happens.”}  Well what happened was magical.  After the bars cooled and I began to slice them, I became extremely nervous that they weren’t baked all the way through.  Not the case.  Holy cow, those extra apples just made these bars extra moist and cake-like.  Now, I’m a gigantic fan of apple cake and that’s what the bars tasted like.  W.O.W.  You need these in your life.  Seriously.  Now.

Apple Raisin Bars
from Family Circle Magazine

2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. diced golden delicious apples {I used 2 1/3 - 2 1/2 c.}
3/4 c. raisins
  1. Heat oven to 350.  Liberally coat a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, set aside.
  3. With an electric mixer, blend together sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla for 3 minutes or until smooth.  
  4. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture.  Mix 2 minutes or until just incorporated.  Stir in apples and raisins and spread into prepared pan.  
  5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD