Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rustic Blueberry Peach Tart



I’ve got a super-duper simple dessert for you today!  One of my favorites to make {um, because it requires almost no skill} and so easy to make it your own with any fruits you desire. Now, I love a good home made pie crust -- there really is nothing better than biting into a flaky, buttery, hand-kneaded crust made with love, butter, flour and ice water.... but MAN can that be a tough thing to achieve.  When I have extra fruit lying around, I’d love to make a pie but I’d love to not have to make crust.  So I substitute....Store. Bought. Refrigerated. Crust.  It’s shameful...I know....I can hardly look at you all as I type.....................

But soon enough I’m shoving a piece of this warm rustic fruit tart into my mouth.  Maybe it’s dolloped with whipped cream...or maybe it’s topped with luscious vanilla ice cream...either way, I’m taking it down like it’s straight from my Grammy’s oven.  Store bought pie crust has come a long way!  Really!!  Just be sure to get the refrigerated dough that’s rolled up, not the stuff already frozen in a pie-tin.  That you might regret...

Rustic Blueberry-Peach Tart

All purpose flour, for dusting work surface
1 9-inch pie dough, store bought or homemade
2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced into thin chunks
1 c. blueberries
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tbsp heavy cream

  1. Preheat oven to 400.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pie dough into a 9-inch circle and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
  2. In a bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, 3 tbsp sugar.  Pour filling onto the pie crust, leaving a 2 to 3 inch border.  Fold the edges of the crust over the fruit mixture.
  3. Brush the crust with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake until crust is golden brown and fruit is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD