Thursday, September 13, 2012

Goat Cheese and Black Bean Dip



I guess my lazy weekend has turned into a lazy week!  I’ve been MIA from my blog!!!  Well last night I made a bunch of food to get back into it and now I’m packed with content that I’m super excited to share with you all!  I also watched Julie and Julia and my blogging spirit has been renewed!  

So today I have a fantastic and flavorful dip for you.  During the fall {also known to many as “football season”}, dips are a-plenty.  Most of these dips are clogged with fat in the form of sour cream, cream cheese or mayo...{and I’m not saying these dips aren’t the most amazing and flavorful dips out there....fat makes the stuff fantastic!}  Here’s a dip that doesn’t have one teeny drop of mayo or sour cream or cream cheese!  The only cheese in it is a sprinkling of creamy goat cheese -- which is a flavor bomb in and of itself.  I also used eggroll wrappers and sliced them into strips then baked them to use as dippers.  This is a much more healthy alternative to tortilla chips.

Goat Cheese and Black Bean Dip

1 tbsp EVOO
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 large poblano peppers
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
10 eggroll wrappers, each sliced into 4 strips
cooking spray

  1. First start with the eggroll wrappers.  Preheat the oven to 450.  Spray cooking spray on a large cookie sheet and lay eggroll strips on sheet.  Then, spray each strip with cooking spray.  Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
  2. Heat EVOO and cook onions and garlic about 5 minutes.  Stir in cumin.  Add 1 can beans and mash using a potato masher.  Stir in stock and other can of beans.  Simmer 5 to 7 minutes and season with salt and pepper.  Let cool.
  3. Broil poblanos and blacken skin.  Place in paper bag to cool.  Peel skin, seed and chop.  Toss with scallions and cilantro. 
  4. Decrease oven temp to 375.  In a 1 to 1 1/2 qt baking dish, spread half of bean mixture in bottom.  Top with half of cheese, crumbled, and half of pepper mixture.  Repeat layers.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD