Monday, August 13, 2012

Blackberry Scones



A few months ago, some friends and I had one of those “nights to remember” that started innocently enough with a couple happy hour cocktails then somehow ending up at a dance club filled with tourists at 2am.  We capped the night off with a cab ride to my house and hosting a sleepover {{after some 3am poker...}}.  And let me tell you, it takes a lot of fun to keep me up past 11pm these days.  The next morning, I somehow woke up extremely early so I thought, “Hey, why not make some breakfast!”  Thinking the smell of delicious baked goods and coffee would wake up my guests, I starting whipping up these Blackberry Scones {{using those fresh wild blackberries my husband and I picked near our house -- they freeze amazingly well!!}}.  

My trick worked -- pretty soon my guests were awake and eating piping hot scones, fresh from the oven.  These were super easy to throw together and perfect with the homemade blackberry jam that my mom sent me!  

Blackberry Scones (6 to 8 scones)
Paula Deen

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
6 tbsp sugar, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. butter
1 large egg
1/2 c. 2% milk, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. fresh blackberries

  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, 1/4 c. sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Form a well in center of flour mixture.  
  3. In a small bowl, whisk egg, 7 tbsp milk and vanilla.  Pour into well; stir until just combined.  Gently stir in blackberries.  Mixture will be crumbly.
  4. Using floured hands, gently press dough into an 8 inch round on baking sheet.  Brush with remaining milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.  Bake 20-22 minutes.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Cut into 6 to 8 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD