Monday, August 20, 2012

Arugula with Prosciutto Wrapped Grilled Peaches



I love salads!  I could eat them all day, every day, and I’m always looking for new and unique recipes.  I’ll never forget the first salad I ordered when I moved to Pittsburgh for college -- it was topped with crispy french fries.  I thought, “oh my god, this is eye opening and delicious!”  then I thought, “hmm, what was the point of the salad when they pile on french fries?!”  Either way, I had a salad epiphany that day -- and I had another one when I took the first bite of today’s salad....

There’s something about combining sweet fruit with salty cured ham.  Prosciutto is one of those meats that is always getting wrapped around melon so why not try it with peaches?!  When I found this recipe, it called for the peaches to be wrapped in pancetta, but I prefer the more delicate prosciutto.  

In South Carolina, peaches are at their peak at the moment -- juicy and sweet and perfect for throwing on the grill!  I’m currently eating as many peaches as I possibly can these days!  This salad will be on my weekly menu again soon!

Arugula with Prosciutto Wrapped Grilled Peaches

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
 1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp EVOO
4 ripe peaches
24 thin slices prosciutto
EVOO for drizzling
6 oz baby arugula {{I actually used a mixture of baby arugula and baby spinach}}
1/2 c. finely crumbled ricotta salata
fresh ground black pepper

  1. Whisk vinegar, lemon juice and salt until salt is dissolved.  Add EVOO in a stream, whisking.
  2. Heat grill to medium heat. Leaving the skin on, slice each peach into 6 wedges and drizzle with olive oil {{so they won’t stick to the grill!}}
  3. Place each peach slice on grill and cook until grill marks appear (about 2 minutes), flip and repeat.  Remove peaches from grill and set aside to cool.
  4. When peaches are cool to the touch, wrap one slice of prosciutto around each peach, overlapping prosciutto.
  5. Divide arugula and peaches among 8 salad plates.  Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with ricotta salata and black pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD