Thursday, July 12, 2012

Greek Style Whipped Feta



I am a huge fan of cheese!  My favorites include goat, brie, gorgonzola and especially feta.  I love it’s crumbly texture and tangy flavor.  On a family vacation we took a very long time ago {I’m thinking I was in 7th grade?!} to Disney World in Florida, we ate at a really great restaurant and they served their bread with feta cheese spread instead of butter.  It was absolutely fantastic.  My mom was hounding the waiter for the recipe with no luck.  He wasn’t giving it out.  But the flavors were so simple and pure that we were able to figure it out when we got home.  This dip reminds me so much of the recipe we re-created -- but with an extra spicy kick from the pickled jalapenos.  This was one of those dips that disappeared very quickly.  When hosting a party, I set out a few appetizers for my guests and continue working on preparing the main course while they snack.  This time, my husband and our friends devoured the bowl {Yeah, I helped of course!} in about 10 minutes and he was asking when more food was coming.  
I served this dip with slices of cucumber, radish and pretzel crisps.  It would also be fabulous served with pita chips or spread on warm crusty bread.  Just be careful with the bread -- appetites may be spoiled!
Greek Style Whipped Feta
1 or 2 garlic cloves
12 oz feta cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp drained sliced pickled jalapenos
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
garnish: fresh basil, smoked paprika, lemon zest, pepper
  1. In the food processor, combine garlic, feta, sour cream, olive oil, jalapenos and lemon juice.  Process until smooth, up to 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed
  2. Into a shallow bowl, spoon mixture.  Garnish and serve with radishes, cucumber, pita chips, etc.  May prepare 2 days in advance


No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD