Friday, June 29, 2012

Skinny Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri



Any gal or guy who is watching their weight, eating healthy and exercising knows that alcohol can really derail one’s diet... but who wants to be the designated driver all the time for the sake of their looks?!  Not me.  I love to enjoy a cocktail with friends whenever possible and there are ways to fit this in with a healthy diet!  The number one way to do this is to think very carefully about what you are mixing with that shot of liquor.  Mixers are the calorie bombs -- and the companies that make these mixers are so sneaky!   I pulled out a certain Strawberry Daiquiri mix in my pantry and checked out the calories: 80 calories per serving {{plus about 70 for a shot of light rum}}.  Not bad!  Then I scanned the bottle and realized it’s 80 calories for a 4 ounce serving.  WHAT!!!!  Who only drinks a 4 oz daiquiri?!  {{Um and also, who only uses one shot of rum...}}  So your typical 12 to 16 ounce frozen daiquiri turns into a 500 to 600 calorie disaster!  And who only has one?!?!  Wow, this could get out of control.  
So, one day in college my beloved and fabulous roommate, Christine, was blending up some frozen drinks for us.  I was about to pass on them when I saw the Crystal Light packets next the the blender.  “OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”  I screamed, super excited to take a frozen drink to my face.  She created what became our signature drink throughout college, blending fresh fruit, alcohol and any and all flavors of Crystal Light mix {{or store brand calorie free mix...we were in college after all...}}.  So, in honor of her  birthday today, I’m sharing with you her creation so we can stay fit and look hot all summer, drinking a frozen drink with an umbrella and not missing out on anything!  Enjoy!

Skinny Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
{{I blended mine in a single serving blender, like a Magic Bullet, so each recipe is for one cocktail}}
6 ice cubes
1/2 c. frozen strawberries {{without syrup or any sugar}}
Light Bacardi {to taste :) I used about 2 shots worth}
1-2 packets of single serve Strawberry-flavored calorie free drink powder {you know, the packets you put in your water bottle}, use more if you like a sweeter drink.
  1. Combine all ingredients and blend until combined.  Top with whipped cream for an added treat and garnish with fresh strawberries and umbrella if desired.
I like to think of this drink as a fruit plate with a couple shots of Bacardi....coming in at about 220 calories for a full 12 ounce serving!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD