Thursday, April 26, 2012

Strawberry Arugula Salad


Hey everyone!  Right now, I’m sitting at the Charlotte airport awaiting my flight to Omaha, Nebraska to visit my sister-in-law.  I’m very excited and very calm due to the 2 bloody mary’s I enjoyed at the bar.  My fear of flying overtakes me a little bit but I figured a quick blog post would take my mind off the fact that I’m about to board one of those little planes -- just praying it’s not a prop plane.  
So today I have a quick and easy salad recipe for you!  Hello, SkinnyChow!  This salad is a lovely combination of peppery arugula, juicy strawberries, creamy crumbled blue cheese and a lovely homemade balsamic dressing.  Add some crunchy croutons and you’ve got yourself a wonderful (and beautiful) first course salad.  
Strawberry Arugula Salad (serves 4)
1 package baby arugula
1 pint fresh strawberries, quartered
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese
1/2 c. store bought croutons, or make your own croutons if you feel so inclined
Toss all ingredients and lightly dress salad with dressing, or as desired.
Balsamic Dressing
I made this dressing significantly lower-fat by reducing the amount of oil without sacrificing flavor.
3/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
Blend all ingredients.
This is such a lovely spring and summer salad.  If you’re the kind of person that isn’t a fan of fruit in your salad, go ahead and give this recipe a try.  Strawberries and balsamic are a classic paring and you will love it.  
Plane just pulled up -- not a prop plane!  YAY!  Hopefully I’ll have some amazing restaurants and food to show you from Omaha so check out the blog in the next few days for some treats!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD