Monday, April 23, 2012

Black Bean Hummus


I’ve always been a fan of hummus - I think of it as a party dip disguised as a health food...and who doesn’t love dip?  I really enjoy scouring the grocery store in search of new hummus flavors {loving the lemon flavors as well as the ones topped with olive tapenade}.  However, as much as I adore the chick pea, I am fanatic over black beans, and when I came across this recipe I knew it just had to be made, slathered over a fresh pita and eaten like a mad woman.  I could barely get this hummus out of the food processor before I was eating it with a spoon.  
A few things I love about this recipe: it’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s SkinnyChow!  The spiciness of the jalapeno, the smokiness from the cumin and the blast of lime juice make this hummus flavorful and pretty much a party in your mouth.  I opted to serve it with warm, soft pita bread, but make this dip even skinnier by serving with cucumber slices, celery, red pepper strips or pretty much any veggie out there.  It’s delish either way!
Black Bean Hummus
recipe adapted from Cooking Light
1/2 c. fresh chopped cilantro, divided
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added black beans, drained
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeded
pita bread, assorted crunchy vegetables
  1. If serving pita bread, preheat oven to 425.
  2. Place 1/4 c. cilantro, tahini and next 8 ingredients in food processor; process until smooth.  Spoon into serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining 1/4c. cilantro. 
  3. Cut pita bread into 8 wedges, arrange on baking sheet and bake 8 minutes, turning once.
Nutrition Info (6 nice-sized servings) 120 calories, 5.4 g fat, 13.8 carbs, 5.5 g protein, 5 g fiber
How simple is that?!  This recipe would be perfect for your Cinco de Mayo parties!  Speaking of Cinco de Mayo -- our party will be posted on Wednesday so be sure to come back and check it out! 


   


1 comment:

©ChowGals - Designed by BDD